This recipe for an Exquisite Stuffed Crust Pizza is perfect for those who love to use a spice mixture on their pizza. The ingredients are simple. While there are many steps involved in making this dough, it is similar to a pan pizza in many ways. It is a delicious and healthy alternative to the traditional crust of a cooked pizza.
• 1 cup lukewarm milk
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon white sugar(optional)
• 2 cups all-purpose flour (or enough to make a soft dough)
• 3 teaspoons baking powder (use low-salt if you like a little salt in your food)
• 3 tablespoons plain yogurt. (if you choose to use regular yogurt or sour cream, add an extra 1/2 tablespoon of plain yogurt.
• 1/4 teaspoon dry active yeast (0.6 oz packet)
• 4 tablespoons of melted butter (your choice for flavorings. You can also use toppings such as garlic, onions, and parsley to add extra flavor as well as color to your pizza.)
• 2 eggs, beaten (your choice for flavorings. You can also use ingredients such as ham and peppers to add extra flavor.
• 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
• 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds(optional) (you can also use more spices and toppings if you like.)
Using a mixing bowl and an electric mixer, blend together the ingredients until the dough is formed. Be sure that you are using a low setting so that your dough does not become too sticky or dense. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes or so.
Procedure to Cook the Stuffed Crust on Pizza Stone:
1. preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, combine the milky mixture and add yeast and whisk until well mixed. Add the rest of the mixture (except sesame and poppy seeds) and stir to combine well.
3. Place dough in a large bowl, cover, then place in a warm area of the kitchen for about 20 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size. The dough will look bubbly at this point.
4. Add butter, eggs, sesame seeds and poppy seeds to the dough and mix gently. Be careful not to over mix.
5. Divide the dough into two halves and place them on two pizza pans that have been coated with a thin layer of cornmeal or flour. You can also use a baking surface or sheet pan if you like, although unnecessary.
6. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes until the dough is chilled and firm enough to use. On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into two halves. Use a rolling pin to flatten each half into a circle about 10 inches in diameter. Make sure that you are working with an even thickness to cook evenly and have an actual crust throughout the pizza.
7. Place a large skillet over medium heat, and add one tablespoon of butter. When the butter is melted, reduce the heat to low and place the pizza dough onto the pan.
8. Brush or tap around the edges of the dough so that it adheres to the pan.
9. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on top of each dough round, then cheese evenly down its middle (your choice of fillings).
10. Sprinkle over the desired toppings.
11. Cook on pizza stone for about 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden and crunchy and cheese has melted all over the pizza.
Toppings include: (but are not limited to) topped with olive oil, garlic, and parmesan, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, bacon bits, ham, and pineapple. Don’t be afraid to experiment with your toppings! You can add your favorite salami as well if you prefer.
12. Remove from pizza stone and enjoy!
Use this recipe to build your own masterpiece. You can use any number of pizza toppings, and the crust will be delicious no matter what you choose. This is a perfect recipe for guests or feeding a large family; make sure that everyone gets their part of the crust!